Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:16:33 -0600 (GMT)
From:      Sean Welch <welchsm@earthlink.net>
To:        grehan@freebsd.org, gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Also interested in testing

Okay -- so the modem is accessible via a com port on
the older iBook?  I looked up the support on OpenBSD's
site and found that the USB attached modem is only for
newer G4 systems (powerbooks).

Guess there's no need to look at porting ofwboot if
you've already incorporated its functionality!

The airport interface would be nice to have.  Not that
big a deal, though; I was using a crossover cable to
my Dell laptop before I got the airport card so I don't
have a problem as long as the ethernet card works.

I went looking around for info on net booting and
cross-compiling last night but didn't have much luck on
the latter.  I found the following for net booting:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/

I think I can puzzle out how to set up one for ppc based
on this info.  I also found this:

http://jeamland.net/~benno/powerpc-boot.txt

Combined with the extensive OF descriptions on the NetBSD
site I should be able to get it to netboot.  Question:
Does the above link reflect a netboot from /home/spangle
with a "complete" install under it?  In other words, is
there a complete directory tree such as one usually found
hanging off / underneath /home/spangle?  If so, how is
this accomplished?  I once did a source upgrade (from
4.5-RELEASE to 4.6-RC #4) but I don't recall an option
to install to a nonstandard location...

Finally, I wasn't able to find anything helpful for
cross-compiling at all.  The closest I got was an
archived email about problems cross-compiling for apha
on a pc but there wasn't much detail.  Could someone
here point me to a comprehensive guide or give me
specific instructions?  I figure while I'm trying to
get the new drive in and partitioned and working on
setup for netbooting I can at least get started trying
to compile the code base.  Any problems with compiling
under 5.0-RELEASE I should be aware of? (Don't really
want to upgrade the Dell while I'm trying to get the
ppc code runnning with code from CURRENT)

I've noticed OF bears a striking resemblance to Sun's
OpenBootProm; does this extend to dropping you down to
an OF prompt on Apple after executing a halt?  Just
curious...

                                                Sean

with "unsubscribe freebsd-ppc" in the body of the message