Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 1996 13:32:58 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, CVS-committers@freefall.freebsd.org, peter@spinner.dialix.com, peter@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-all@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-usrbin@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/vi Makefile

> Ahem, I won't even comment on this, you all know my POV, but if
> it should go in, PLEASE as little as possible....
>
> What would the sentiment be if I made it possible to build
> a FreeBSD-lite out of our sources, ie "make lite"  ??

This seems to imply that you're taking a "standard" FreeBSD
source/binary tree and removing things, which sounds backward.  If you
don't want something like perl5 in your system, you shouldn't load it
in the first place, and solving this problem is really more a matter
of further compartmentalizing the bin and src distributions so that
it's possible for us to say that.

If we give the user the facilities necessary for sub-selecting a
FreeBSD installation to that degree, we can make "FreeBSD, the
superset" essentially as large as we want.  I still wouldn't want to
make it *too* large, since developers still bear the brunt of grabbing
the whole thing, but I think we've nonetheless got to admit to
ourselves that we're only going to continue to add software to the
system as it evolves.  That's OK, just so long as we make it also
possible for the minimalists to pick and choose only the components
they need.

The bin distribution has always been too big, and I think we've always
known that.  Garrett had some ideas for subsecting it which I didn't
like, but only because of where he drew the lines, not because he drew
them.  I'd also more than welcome a wider discussion on breaking this
into smaller logical pieces since I think there are probably as many
distinct points of view on that as there are core team members. :-)

						Jordan