Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:36:55 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Paul Hernaus <Paul.Hernaus@nl.origin-it.com>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/delete perform.c

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 04:37:17AM -0800, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> > sheldonh    2000/01/11 04:37:17 PST
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >     usr.sbin/pkg_install/delete perform.c
> >   Log:
> >   Use a more helpful fatal error message than "Toto! This doesn't look
> >   like Kansas anymore!" when unable to return to the original working
> >   directory.
>
> What a sad world this is. I rather liked the "silly" error message.
> I even used it as an example of UNIX humor.

I have to agree since the last time this was brought up, I asked
people what additional information would be imparted by "Can't return
to previous directory!" and they admitted that this, while more
factual, wouldn't actually be any more enlightening to them.

I also have to wonder how people are actually GETTING this error
message since you have to really work at it to trigger this failure
case, hence the original flippant message.  It really is one of those
"Help, we should never get here" sorts of error messages and maybe I
should just adopt a programming convention used by a friend of mine
back in the 80's.  All of his programs used a single error message to
indicate an unexpected error condition: "Something has gone wrong!"

We all had great fun debugging his code after receiving one of those,
I can tell you. :)

- Jordan