Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 10:01:10 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, fpawlak@execpc.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, kline@tera.tera.com, freebsd@atipa.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Enough already! (Re: Why we should support Microsoft...)

> At the last BAFUG meeting I had a conversation with the head tech person at
> a large ISP here in the bay area know for it's use of FreeBSD. He told me
> the story of how microsoft was putting serious pressure on ISPs to drop
> Unix in general and switch to NT. microsoft was at the same time going

Those rats.  Well, in some ways, this is good and let me tell you why:

NT is just plain NOT READY YET, a fact which most admins who've
attempted to seriously deploy it in the field are well aware of, and
by pushing it into places where it's not appropriate to push it yet,
M$ is doing an excellent job of shooting their feet off.  Once so
burned, even the most middle-of-the-road admin is going to become a
fire-and-brimstone evangelist in the cause of free Unix and that's
really good for us.  Someday NT _will_ be ready, the inevitable
outcome of having an infinite number of monkeys and $$$ to throw at
the problem, and when it does there will be a whole slew of folks who
aren't even willing to look at it because they were just screwed too
badly during its less stable days.  Well, that's my theory, anyway. :-)

But yes, we should focus on leveraging this fact (NT ain't ready) and
do as much grass-roots advertising of our own as we can.  As some
military guy was once reputed to have said: "Give me the boy from 5 to
12 and I'll give you the man."  People tend to stick with what works,
if you can keep the pointy-haired bosses out of the decision (and
that's a factor we'll always have to keep well in mind).

- Jordan