Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 1997 12:11:33 +1000
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@connect.com.au>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@mindbender.serv.net>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lousy disk perf. under cpu load (was IDE vs SCSI)

At last some sanity!

Nobody doubts that there are specific preferences when you have a blank
sheet to purchase.

What mattered to me (when I first posted about the DMA issues with the IDE
driver) was an *existing* config which was (E)IDE.

I am very happy that people think server systems, especially where disk-count
is greater than 2 should be on SCSI. I am very happy that people doing reliable
or mission-critical spec their machines to use best-practice hardware and
software.

I am also happy that device driver writers are looking at poor saps like me
who have blown this years computer-budget on an unexpected car transmission
failure, and can't walk away from their (E)IDE investment for a while longer.

FreeBSD *has* to be about the best possible service in the worst imaginable
hardware as well as the best possible service in the dream configuration. The
exceptions should be as minimal as possible: 386 is the lowest CPU, MCA may
be somewhat 'interesting' (Noting a NetBSD project which makes it work) but
nobody deliberately makes it non-functional on middle-of-the-road boxen.

Otherwise its a rich playground and not UNIX for the masses.

cheers
	-George
--
George Michaelson         |  connect.com.au pty/ltd
Email: ggm@connect.com.au |  c/o AAPT,