Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 01:43:58 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Craig Shaver <craig@ProGroup.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC-200 vs SC-875

At 10:20 PM 2/18/97 -0800, Craig Shaver wrote:
>Mike Tancsa wrote:
>>  <Stuff about which NCR based SCSI card to get>

>I have only run NCR controllers on my FreeBSD computer.  I like them.
>And most of the people say the 810 NCR fast scsi-II controllers (ASUS
>SC-200) are almost equal to the performance of the 2940.  The fast and
>wide NCR 825 based controllers are supported in all version of FreeBSD,
>and the Ultra Wide NCR 875 controllers are supported in version 2.2 and
>later.  By all means use the ASUS 200 for a second controller.  I
>recommend it.  :)

Super,
	Thanks for the response... Right now we are running 2.1.5 as the news
server and will do an upgrade to 2.2 after the bugs are ironed out... One
thing I dont get is why the FAQ (http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ45.html#45)
lists the Ultra Wide as being supported, when I find no mention of it in
LINT in either 2.1.6 or 2.1.5...

PCI Generic

     NCR 53C81x based controllers <PCI>
     NCR 53C82x based controllers <PCI>
     NCR 53C860/75 based controllers <PCI>

I am leaning toward getting the higher end controller since we might
actually be able to afford higher class drives one day :-)... However, if
it will only work with 2.2, then I am not sure if I should take a chance on
it just yet.

	---Mike