Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 17:11:34 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Richard Hodges <rh@alpine.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-homed - Load Balancing - No Single Point of Failure

At 12:11 PM 8/14/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, dennis wrote:
>
>> >My "typical" router is one T1 and one Ethernet.
>> >
>> >Etinc: (new)       Ascend: (new)           cisco: (used)
>> >---------------    ---------               -----------
>> > $550  5025 card   $1025  Pipeline 130     $1200  2501 (used)
>> > $125  cable       $ n/a  v.35 cable n/a   $  ??  cable may be included
>> > $400  DSU/CSU     $ n/a  DSU/CSU          $ 400  DSU/CSU
>> >----               ------                  -----
>> >$1075 (w/o host)   $1025  ready to go      $1600  ready to go
>> >
>> >+ $50  to add F/R    + 0  included           $ 0  included
>>
>> Well, almost..its $585. for a card and a cable (Perhaps you confused
>> our cable with Cisco's?), and $375 for a CSU/DSU, so you are
>> talking $960.
>
>Ok.  Your web page said the cable was not included, and the v.35
>cable below had a price of $125.  So I just figured...

Thats a quad-V.35 cable...the cable is 40.

>> For slow, single port routers....yeah, you may be right. Of course
>> no one makes any money on a low-end router anyway, so who
>> cares?
>
>If I need several low-end routers, then *I* care.
>
>> >Yes, I *DO UNDERSTAND* that *BSD is much more powerful for
>> >routing...  But I know how to set up cisco and Ascend.
>>
>> This, is a personal problem. If you *don't* the learning curve is similar.
>
>I understand FreeBSD better than you think.  Your cards I do not.
>
>> >Your web page documentation could benefit greatly if you would put
>> >your manuals, tips, and configuration information online.  You see,
>> >I want to know everything about the job *BEFORE I BUY*.
>>
>> If you're talking to ET, it IS up there, so perhaps we're on a different
>> wavelength.
>
>I would love to read your product manuals and configuration guides.
>(That is really what I am asking for.)  What are the URLs?

Uh...try clicking on the "manuals" section. I forget what color it is.

>> >If I could get your basic 5025 with cable for $250 to $300, I would
>> >probably get one for experimentation.

We are not in the business of funding your experimentation....

>> Perhaps, some day, when we are really hard up for business we
>> will consider such a *program*.... :-) But for now things are pretty
>> much booming....
>
>If I knew your products were better than my other options, I would be
>willing to pay more.  Since I do not know that, my "experimental"
>budget is smaller.

another personal problem....

>> >I hope you don't take this as a grip, but if you do, please consider
>> >it that I really would like to try your products... but the price is
>> >too high and I need a chance to build confidence in them.
>
>> The price is *approproiate*.
>
>You have not demonstrated your products' full value (yet) TO ME...

I can never convice you with words, and Im not giving one to you for free,
so you're stuck with Ascend.

>> For $300. its not worth the trouble dealing with you...
>
>That is a funny way to phrase it...  But I understand.
>
>If the customer is not saying "yes", then you must educate your customer
>until he understands why the product is worth what you are asking.

If it works it is worth is, if it doesnt then it isnt worth anything. Like
someone said,
we've been over it many times before...the arguments are constant.

If you're never going to grow beyond 1 line, you dont care about bandwidth
management or cant figure out how to run ifconfig on a PTP interface, then
maybe it isnt worth it for you.

Dennis