Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 11:26:03 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
Cc:        Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>, bsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: why does sendmail fail so much

Snob Art Genre wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Robert Chalmers wrote:
>
> > I notice since I switched back to sendmail, that I get  a lot more failed
> > messages than I used to with smail? things like the following;
>
> While we're on the topic, I've been getting this for months now:
>
>                 Mail Queue (1 request)
> --Q-ID-- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient------------
> CAA02131* (no control file)
>
> I've looked fairly carefully and haven't found any files on my system by
> the name of CAA02131.  I guess a file is not what I should be looking for.
> Is this anything to be concerned about?

Did you get those in the output from /etc/daily? If so, then they're
harmless. This is the result of /etc/daily executing mailq while its
output is being piped into sendmail, catching sendmail in the middle of
constructing the message control file. I haven't seen it in other
situations, but I guess it would be all the same if you catch the queue
while a message is being written to it. If it goes awat after a few
seconds I'd say there's nothing to worry about.

> > ta
> > bob
> > --
> > Reality. re al 'i ty. Something for those with no imagination.
> > robert@chalmers.com.au for Whirled Peas               http://www.chalmers.com.au
> > Location: Whitsunday Web Works.                       21'7" S, 149'14" E.
> >

>  Ben
>
> The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation
> Board of Queensland, Australia.
Nadav