Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 00:05:59 +1000
From:      Gary Saunders <garys@netconnect.com.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installation

Free BSD 2.2.1 Registration
April 1997

First Name: Gary        Last Name:  Saunders
City:  Stawell  State:  Victoria        Zip:  3380      Country:
Australia
Telephone: (03) 53583750
Em@il Address:  garys@netconnect.comm.au
Where did you purchase tis disc?  LaserBaud, 48-51 Ramsden St., Clifton
Hill,
                                  Victoria, Australia
                                  www.laserbaud.com.au
What you like about this product?  It is a decent operating system.

What You don't like?  I haven't been able to get it installed yet.

New disc tiles you would like to see:  Will advise as when the need
arises.

Other comments:  Intallation to date.

I am trying to install on a PC with a 1.04 GB hard drive.
I tried to install from a boot floppy made from the CD and directly from
the
CD with the same result:
        In FDISK Partition Editor - I have the following (Disk Geometry
from
        pfdisk):
Disk Name wd0
DISK Geometry: 527 cycles/64 heads/63 sectors = 2124864 sectors

Offset  Size  End       Name  Type  Dest        Subtype  Flags
    0     63   62       -       6   unused           0
   63 2124801 2124863   wd0s1   2   fat              6     =
2124864  6048 2130911   -       6   unused           0     A

In the next screen - FreeBSD Label Editor - is where I couldn't get
commands
to work or didn't know what to do.
In the top of the screen under the title "FreeBSD Label Editor" were the
following headings:

Part  Mount  Size  Newfs  Part  Mount  Size  Newfs
----  -----  ----  -----  ----  -----  ----  -----

only (nothing under them) and the command at the bottom.
When I tried A -> You can only do this in a disk slice (at top of
screen).
When I tried C -> You can only do this in a master partition (see top of
screen).
When I tied M = Mount pt. -> Specify a mount point for the partition.
I wasn't sure what was required so I didn't try guessing.

I saw from Help that the following should have been set up:

Name    Purpose                 MinSize         Option
----    -------                 -------         ------
/       Root filesystem         20MB            No
swap    swap space              2 * Mem         No
/usr    system usre files       80MB            Yes

I was anable to do so, so, as a result, the subsequent sceens of the
installation were as follows:
No root device found - you must label the partition as / in the label
editor.
No swap devices - you must create at least one swap partition.
WARNING:  No /usr filesystem found.  This ...
WARNING:  No /var file system found ...
Couldn't make filesystem properly.  Aborting.

I also used setup to copy files from the CD to my DOS partition, which
it did
in a directory called FREEBSD.  However, I was not clear on how to make
use
of this.  I got the impression that I need to concatenate some of these
files
after reading About.

As you can see I am a novice with Unix, although I do have a little
experience with this operating system.

I hope I have given you enough information to allow you to help me to
get
the system installed.  I have not compressed the Win95 nor created any
partitions with DOS utilities.  All I need to do for a start is to be
able
to run Unix and C for a course that I am doing.

I hope eventually to be able to support your efforts - keep up the good
work!