Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:31:37 -0500
From:      Jerry Hicks <wghhicks@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@seidata.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

Mike Hoskins wrote:

> Jerry Hicks wrote:
>
> > I bet the Linux porters *do* have access to the aforementioned source
> > code.  And probably a goodly share of other DEC resources as well.
>
> I use FreeBSD and Linux on a regular basis, and if this is
> the case, I find it very discouraging.  I've always viewed
> Linux and FreeBSD as "alternative operating systems".  That
> is defined, by me, to be operating systems programmed by
> individuals that rise above petty differences, corporate
> bloat, and/or monetary concerns to have one common goal...
> to program the best OS possible.  Windows/MacOS/etc. seem to
> be so busy fighting against each other that progress is, in
> many ways, greatly hindered by their petty, greed-driven
> bickering.  I had always hoped (and still believe) that both
> FreeBSD and Linux rose above such bickering and focussed on
> the important issues of security/performance/etc.  If,
> however, either side were to purposefully withhold any type
> of information simply to "ensure their OS does better than
> the other", it would seem the guilty party has adopted a
> rather Microsoft-like attitude on development.
>
> ---
>  Mike Hoskins
>  SEI Data Network Services
>  mike@seidata.com

DEC has a very vocal group of Linux developers internally.  I think that
Mr. Hall holds a particularly important position there WRT Unix matters.

I find it very difficult to believe that they are producing Linux
developments without any advantage over outside developers such as
FreeBSD.

This can be looked at in a more positive light too.  DEC might be said
to be revealing internal information through a filtered channel to the
freeware markets.

This simply means that, if an Alpha port were ever taken on by FreeBSD,
the best information would most likely be gleaned from the Linux ports.
Anything that DEC would give out directly probably wouldn't be as
complete as that.

We *can* give them credit for having done more than any other mainstream
Unix vendor.

Food for thought eh?

Jerry Hicks
jerry_hicks@bigfoot.com