Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 17:01:45 +1100
From:      John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE?

Mike Smith wrote:
> > John S. Dyson wrote:
> > > It seems that we'll have ELF support,
> > > but I forget (or simply don't know) if we (they) decided that ELF will be
> > > primary or not.
> >
> > Has anyone decided what the aout to elf upgrade procedure will be?
>
> That's likely to come out of the bruises that the 'early adopters' are
> going to wear, but I would say that the initial approach will be "set
> BINFORMAT=elf and rebuild the world".

You might want to be running a kernel that groks ELF with ELF shared
libraries installed before you do a make world. Otherwise I can see a
point where you overwrite an a.out program that is needed to complete
the make world. Is 3.0 going to be like Linux and understand both
executable formats? Will the make world build both ELF and a.out
shared libraries? Or will a.out basically die off?

Cheers.
      .   | John Saunders   mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au  (Work) |
  ,--_|\  |                 mailto:john@nlc.net.au              (Home) |
 /  Oz  \ |                 http://www.nlc.net.au/~john/               |
 \_,--\_/ | SCITEC LIMITED  Phone +61 2 9428 9563  Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
       v  |    "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends."   |