Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:41:32 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Docs Team <FreeBSD-Doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   docbook conversion

I've read the plan for converting the handbook to docbook format. Nik
has certainly done a lot of work on this and I think he should be
applauded. Assuming that we want the final product of the doc overhaul
to be in docbook format (and that certainly seems to be a reasonable
assumption) I don't see any problems in going ahead with this as
planned. If I understand the thing correctly, it will be easier to cut
and paste the bits we have into the final format if they are already in
docbook, yes?  Also, are plans being laid to convert the rest of the
docs on the www site too, like the FAQ and tutorials? Or will this be
fairly simple once we've got a method down for the handbook?

	The next set of questions I have relate to the timing of the changes.
Do we really want to make this change before 2.2.6 goes out?  What would
the advantages to that be?  It seems to me that time effort and energy
would be better served by tightening up and correcting the text we have,
shipping 2.2.6 with all of the docs in the old format and make the next
release the first to utilize the new. Overall I think that waiting to
make the conversion will result in the least headaches and the best
overall product.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest