Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:28:20 -0600
From:      "Brian McCloskey" <bmccloskey@leader-group.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: CAM cutover in two weeks.

I was wondering one thing, is the CAM SCSI subsystem going to support the
Adaptec AIC-7895 controller as well?  I know the CAM boot floppy that I
downloaded did, but I haven't had any luck finishing the install with it,
and was hoping the new integration into 3.0 will help fix my problems.

Thanks,
Brian

Mike Smith wrote:

> One of the major feature goals for 3.0 is the transition to the new
> CAM-inspired SCSI subsystem.  This transition requires a hard cutover
> date.
>
> The proposed cutover date is the 28th of April.  On or about this point
> in time, the following steps will be taken:
>
>  - A CVS tag will be applied to mark the last checkout date prior to
>    the cutover.
>  - The CAM code will be committed to the -current branch.
>  - GENERIC and LINT will be translated to suit.
>  - MAKEDEV will be updated.
>  - Non-CAM SCSI code and drivers will be *disabled*.
>
> There will be an announcement at least 24 hours preceeding the cutover.
>
> It is important to note that the cutover to CAM will result in a number
> of SCSI adapters and devices becoming *unsupported*.  A number of these
> are significant items, and developers are encouraged to take the time to
> update drivers which they may have an interest in.  FreeBSD Test Labs
> will endeavour to provide loan equipment to developers undertaking such
> updates.
>
> The following SCSI adapters will become unsupported:
>
>   Driver        Adapter                         Owner
>   ------        -------                         -----
>    aha          Adaptec 1542                    ?               (*)(+)
>    aic          Adaptec aic6x60                 ?               (*)(+)
>    amd          NCR 53c974                      ?               (*)
>    dpt          DPT RAID controllers            Simon Shapiro   (*)
>    nca          NCR 53c400                      ?
>    sea          Seagate ST01/ST02               ?
>    uha          Ultrastor 34F                   ?               (*)(+)
>    vpo          Iomega ppa3 (eg. Zip)           Nicolas Souchu  (*)(+)
>    wds          Western Digital WD7000          ?
>
> The following SCSI peripherals will become unsupported:
>
>   Driver        Adapter
>   ------        -------
>    od           Optical-disk device                             (*)(+)
>    uk           Unknown SCSI device
>    worm         Write-once SCSI device
>
> Drivers marked (*) are considered to be currently supported, and
> desirable for 3.0.
>
> FreeBSD Test Labs has development hardware available for loan to
> developers for drivers marked (+).  In some cases, documentation may
> also be available.
>
> If there are any significant issues (other than FUD) relating to the
> proposed cutover, now is the time to raise them.
>
> Followups should be directed as follows:
>
>  - Technical matters relating to updating a driver for CAM:
>      freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
>  - All other issues:
>      freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>
> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Brian McCloskey             | Leader Group
Consultant                  | 5200 DTC Parkway
 ph: 303-773-9700           | Suite 500
fax: 303-773-9610           | Englewood, CO 80111