Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:40:55 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: #freebsd-newbies

David Wolfskill wrote:

Someone else wrote:
> >   I would agree with Sue in that the channel, as a help channel,
> >wouldn't be too helpful - the blind leading the blind so to speak,
> >unless some more experienced users could be persuaded to devote some
> >of their time to staffing it.
>
> I agree with that point.
>
> As someone who is relatively new to FreeBSD (per se), but familiar with
> UNIX, and whose job is administering UNIX (mostly FreeBSD) boxen, I
> confess that it had never occurred to me that IRC might be used for
> assistance.

	Without going into too much detail re the rest of your post, I assure
you that thousands of people find useful help on IRC every day. There
are companies that actually provide first-line customer service over
IRC, and there are hundreds of help channels staffed by volunteers that
provide help as good as you can find anywhere. On any given night on
just the 3 main IRC networks there are 80,000 connections and the
numbers are growing consistently, as they have been for years. IRC is
certainly not a fad. :)

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet