Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 10:01:49 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: commercial software (definitive)

On Fri, 15 May 1998 22:57:38 -0500 (EST), "John S. Dyson"
<toor@dyson.iquest.net> wrote:

>When GPLed parts of the system have to be hacked on, it is
>understood apriori that the work will not be a part of the
>competitive advantage ... (I do like hacking on GCC and stuff,
>but know that any potential competitive advantage is lost

Some in management believe that competitive advantage must include
trade secrets.  But the truth is that superior customer service is far
more powerful in gaining competitive advantage.  That's why I believe
that limitations of the GPL are mostly imaginary.