Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:48:47 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is using fdisk a must?

Mike Smith wrote:
> Robert wrote
> > I'm experimenting with setting up scsi disks using disktab and disklabel.

> If you are building a new disk to be used only with FreeBSD, the
> correct process is either:
>
> a) use /stand/sysinstall (and the configure menu) to slice/partition
>    the disk.

Keep in mind I'm experimenting here...  I'm trying to actually avoind having to
use sysinstall.

> b) proceed as follows, for the disk 'foo'.
>
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo count=16
> # disklabel -rwB foo auto
> # disklabel -e foo
>  [set the disk type to SCSI or ESDI (for IDE disks),
>   add partitions to suit]

This of course builds a _bootable_ disk, right?  The -B loads a boot image.
Least wise it did on mine, and I had the devil of a job disabling it, and
rebooting off the correct, primary, drive.

I have the drive up and running, it just gives the 'no magic' warning at boot
time... as mentioned in the first post.
I can include the disktab/disklabel output if you like, but nowhere does
disklabel/disktab allow the input of 'magic numbers'.
Which led to the question, is fdisk a must? I mean, sysinstall starts with
fdisk itself!

I am beginning to believe that FreeBSD simply has no facility for building new
drives from disktab entires entirely? If there is a way, perhaps someone would
like to tell me what it is - barring the use of fdisk, which doesn't exist on
most Unix systems! it's a DOS-i386'ism.

cheers
Robert

--
  Support Whirled Peas.       Business in China?    China House
  robert@chalmers.com.au      ph:61 7 49440357 fx:61 7 49578425