Date:           Sun, 21 Jun 1998 10:21:33 -0500
From:      "Drew Derbyshire" <ahd@kew.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:     Re: CD-ROM layout

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998 22:33:08 -0700, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:
> > I remain VERY unhappy the discs are not labeled properly with the
> > specific disc contents -- the doc bug I cut on this was closed without
>
> Try reading the README files.

Read the PR that you closed for the multiple steps checking all four
CD-ROMs require.  I did load the CD-ROM's and did an "ls", and just did
check the README file on disc 1 -- it does not define the layout, but
puts the user at the LAYOUT file, which in turn fails to describe all
four discs.

(I would suggest the root document files on every CD-ROM include the
layouts of all CD-ROM's in the set in the future; whether this requires
a longer LAYOUT file or distinct LAYOUT files is up to the person doing
the enhancement.)

> And stop whining, for god's sake,

You want to call repeated problems with your major physical product by
paying customers whining, be my guest -- don't expect them to keep
paying, though.

> I've already said publically that I'd fix this in the next version and
> your statements of unhappiness have already been noted.

If you are going to fix the issue, you should have left the PR open.

I took your earlier comments to mean deadlines made it hard to produce
externally labeled CD-ROM's meeting the basic standards I set out in the
PR and still meet schedules.  I also concluded (apparently incorrectly)
that release 2.2.7 would be externally labeled no better than 2.2.6.
This, combined with the 2.2.2 and 2.2.5 CD-ROM contents not being very
usable out of the box, are a sufficient problem for me that I am
considering cancelling my release subscription and just using my cable
modem for downloads.

> You accomplish nothing useful in this posting.

The post asked a specific question, which was the existence and location
of the unpacked sources on the discs.  This was Nth-level of my real
problems for the day (SPAM->sendmail 8.9->m4->src->CD layout), and the
related comment pointed out how the lack of labeling affected real use
of the CD-ROM's.

I never did get a response to my question, but I bothered to close the
issue (until your note arrived) with my own follow-up note.

-ahd-
--
Internet:       ahd@kew.com             Voice:          781-279-9812

 Be careful, the last person using this keyboard had a terminal disease.