Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:41:31 +0100
From:      Gary Hall <gary.hall@mcg-graphics.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Networking problem

We are having a problem with FreeBSD when trying to connect to it
remotely via FTP or rlogin. The problem is that the FreeBSD machine
tries to connect to the Internet via our router whenever anyone tries to
log in. Our router then tries to dial up onto the Internet via ISDN.
Until the connection is made, it refuses to accept any internal
connections.

Why, when FTP-ing from a PC to a FreeBSD machine, both on a local
ethernet network, would the FreeBSD machine decide to dial the Internet
?

Any replies would be appreciated, as this is getting expensive !

Gary Hall