Date:      Sun, 02 Aug 1998 19:23:38 -0500
From:      "Security Mgr." <trouble@webfyre.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Adaptec 2980 SCSI

OK so far ive noticed thing that seem broken, I realize that the new cam
is not in 2.2.7 by default, so i asked how to get my adaptec 2980
controller working, so then i was told to use the cam patches.... i
tried this it failed miserably, not even letting me compile a kernel....
then browsing the cam directories i find a release for 2.2CAM ... so i
get the boot disk, and boot off it, hey this works, installed FreeBSD on
a 9.1 gig scsi, rebooted clean, rebuilt the kernel with no problem to
add bpfilters for dhcp, so far so good, went to configure X.... Ummm
WHERES XFree86 in the cam release it seems to be missing, and
/stand/sysinstall refuses to let me install the 2.2.7-RELEASE of just
the X package.... so now im tied, hands crossed and slightly
dis-illusioned at FreeBSD.... Hrmmm sum this up....

2.2.7-RELEASE no Adaptec capabilities

apply patches, Ummm this bombed big time

try to install the 2.2CAM release hey that worked....... but NO X

this seems very futile and very broken to me..... is there a real
logical solution to the SCSI problem under 2.2.7 with X
capabilities.......... ????

basically if i can somehow install X on the SCSI build id be 100% happy
and satisfied, not that i ever want to fight with a unix distribution
like this for three days again...!!! After all i hate to mention the
other OS with the letter L* in it, but it does support my controller,
and X at the same time, no this isnt a rip, more of a plea to help
complete my workstation build. I dont want to go back, to the other
side.... i want to stay with freebsd, but it has to run X and support my
scsi controller.... Any and ALL help will be much appreciated.....

Thanks, in advance
Dazed, Tired, X-Bewildered  & SCSI-Confused

PS.... can someone FIX THIS, cause I know alot of us are using the newer
adaptec series controllers, if nothing else at least add XFree86 to the
CAM distributions......