Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 12:21:12 -0500
From:      "Gregory D. Moncreaff" <moncrg@ma.ultranet.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NETCCITT sources

Wes Peters wrote:

> And, in the world in general, OSI has finally! died the horrible,
> protracted death it always deserved.

Guess you haven't heard of ICAO's ATN
[areonautical telecommunications network],
it is based on OSI's CLNP, TP etc
with X.25 as the air/ground subnetwork

granted, all the ground infrastructure will
undoubtably run TCP/IP as well, however there
is no avoiding the bits-in-the-air [as it were]
of CLNP on X.25

> FreeBSD
> has enough projects lying about to keep those who are working on it now
> busy for decades, so unless you want to become the champion of netccitt,
> don't expect much.

I'm not so much asking for help as asking
that it [OSI/X.25 protocol support] not be made
any more difficult [aka the removal of the OSI
conditional code in sbin/ifconfig/ifconfig.c
that occured recently, or the rejection of a
patch to such that fixed the prototype warnings]

I've been using for 2 and a half years now if at all
possible [2.1.0 -> 2.2.5 -> 2.2.7 -> ???]

Hey, I offerred to [help] maintain netiso's OSI,
I guess no one was interested...