Date:      Fri, 04 Sep 1998 01:50:00 +0300
From:      Yoav Cohen-Sivan <ycs@netvision.net.il>
To:        eivind@yes.no, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> The problem with this is the same as requiring subscriptions for
> posting at all - a lot of us are subscribed through different accounts
> than we post from (I, for instance, am subscribed through my
> FreeBSD.ORG account except for the lists where I made a mistake), and
> it is not very practical to have to post through those addresses.

I can see two solutions:

1) Resubscribe using your regular posting address. It is an
inconvenience, but a small _one-time_ inconvenience to pay for clean
lists.

2) Add an option, so that when one subscribes he can list a set of
e-mail addresses he'll use for posting.

I have no idea how feasible #2 is, it sure sounds like a load on the
mailing list server. It seems to me #1 is ideal. Out of curiosity, why
would someone consciously subscribe from an address he doesn't use? Do
you use aaa@bbb to post, but read from ccc@ddd? How many people do this
routinely?

> I think a moderated list for architecture discussions is a better way
> of handling this, and have thus volunteered to moderate one (I'd like
> not to have to, but it seems like the only way to get a really good
> list).

Now, _that_ is a lot of work. I can't see how everybody suffering a bit
from #1 above is worse than slowly driving a couple of moderators crazy
;-)

	Yoav