Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:34:27 -0600
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        eivind@yes.no
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network Computers

> > And I get the reply "Yeah, but we're standardizing on MS Word".
>
> And to this you reply something like this: "MS-Word - there is no MS
> word.  There is just different versions of MS-Word, with the same
> problems between them as between different word-processors.  Like the
> fact that it can't read the old documents - I sometimes feel a little
> disconcerned that all the companies that use MS Word throws away their
> archives every two years..."
>
> Eivind.

4000+ Word documents masquerading as ISO material in an enormous,
manually 'maintained' directory structure based on department and
sub-department names (some of which no longer exist) stored on a Novell
file server that crashes thrice weekly.  Some quantifiable percentage of
these gems are always infected with 'Concept' despite regular sweeps.
Now the special people are romping around this beauty leaving behind
Word 97 droppings that the regular mopes who are still (!) running 16
bit Word can't open.  Why _not_ throw it out?  Me?  I'm hoping for a
meteor.

If any fool ever puts me in power I will analyze little repositories
like these and fire the top ten contributors annually.  Sort of an ISO
reap.

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.