Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 14:08:49 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

>     I'm trying to imagine someone setting up a bunch of UNIX
>     boxes in a rack using a windows laptop rather then a unix laptop...

Happens all the time.  Like I said, most of the good diagnostic
software runs under Windows.

>     and failing.   Normally I assume that my network is insecure, even

Again, if the systems are talking only to eachother and there's no
outside link on the hub then they're as secure as they need to be
until such time as you bring them into service.  I've seen such
scenarios frequently in the field.

>     And also, in order to make telnet operate out of the box you have
>     to setup a password anyway.

That's part of FreeBSD's standard install.  I honestly don't see
anything in your email which refutes my essential point at all.

- Jordan