Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 1998 09:08:29 +0000
From:      curtis <ufkartfm@pacific.net>
To:        "freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD/axp - Smoothing the Edges

In the process of getting my Multia to run FreeBSD/axp, these where the
things that would have confused me if I lacked 'experience':

Getting a correct set of kern.flp & mfsroot.gz. -  In most cases, with
exception to the 3.0-19981031-SNAP, either kern.flp or mfsroot.gz failed
and required using one or the other from a different SNAP (for example,
as I mentioned in a previous message, the mfsroot.gz from the 11-28 SNAP
would not work, but the one from the 3.0-19981124-SNAP would (on my
Multia)).

NetBSD boot floppies and setting up FreeBSD. -  I feel there should be
a note in the .org/alpha section that explains this method is no longer
used.  I have seen posts to the list where folks (including me) had set
up their systems this way & had problems with later FreeBSD installs.

Regarding several posts I saw this morning:

Mark Turpin wrote:
> I have a webpage that documents my process of installing the system. it's
> at http://www.mainstreettech.com/~mturpin/alpha.html

Nice Job Mark; however, for the record, where you say:

"To boot from the hard drive type:

      >>> boot -flags 'a' dka0"

Even though it will work this way, SRM wants to see it like this:

boot dka0 -flags a    and if you boot something other than "kernel" then
boot dka0 -file (name) -flags a       the same is true for booting dva0.

Gary Palmer wrote:
[snip] (about the location of the SNAP mirror) and there was a typo: the
correct location is: ftp://mirrors.rcn.com/pub/FreeBSD/alpha  (btw) I,
for one, appreciate this mirror.

Regarding previous posts about "vi":

Having spent a little time, now, 'playing' with a working FreeBSD/axp,
on my Multia, I no longer have any problems with "vi".  The "lines that
were being cut off" only appear when I use "vi" under the P2 minicom
serial terminal and NOT under a telnet session.  In fact, using telnet
has eliminated a LOT of 'stuff' I originally thought were errors.

I would like to repeat my THANK YOU to those who helped me and extend
kudos for the APPRECIATED fine work you have done on this port.

I would also like to apologize to those who feel uncomfortable with me
participating on this list; especially (smile) the person  who took the
time to re-mail me from Europe suggesting my posts were 'spam'.  Geez,
I thought I was trying to help (chuckle), but I may have been wrong.

(smile) 'Anyhow', I have what I need to continue with FreeBSD/axp, but
am curious about a few things.

1).  Will there be linux/alpha emulation?

2).  Does anyone have EMACS running yet - caveats ?

3).  Is there information that explains what files are needed for a
     minimum FreeBSD/axp install?

Finally a trivia question - OFF TOPIC:

I noticed there is a quote from "Brett Glass, Infoworld, April 8, 1996",
on the FreeBSD site.  Can anyone tell me if this is the same Brett Glass
who developed 'polar' QAM at Stanford for the experiments I completed 11
years ago?

In conclusion, it was never my intention to 'create problems' and I will
be leaving the list Monday evening.... so if you have answers to the
above, please 'CC' them to me .....without you, I would not have gotten
so far, so quickly. THANK YOU!

Much success in the future and best2u all,
--
curtis - ufkartfm@pacific.net - site administrator for Nobody
      I want Nobody to control my life!  How about you?