Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:32:05 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read this...

David O'Brien wrote:

> > I don't think that to develop on an old sparc is so exciting. 8)
>
> I fail to see the difference in excitement.  I'm interested in this
> project *only* to be able to run FreeBSD on my old Sparc 20's.

Ditto.

> > 2) For old sparc there is Linux, but on Ultra there is less support.
>
> You mean for old Sparc there is OpenBSD and NetBSD.  Linux is *NOT* an
> option.  I'm on a BSD list, not a Pingin list.

;^)

> > 3) I don't know anyone who wants to sell his/her old sparc.
>
> see comp.sys.sun.wanted

Or www.rave.com, or www.solarsys.com, etc.  Go to your favorite search
engine and search for "used sparc" or "refurbished sparc".

Solar Systems has currently listed on their "Specials" page a
SPARC 5/70 for $945, a SPARC 4/110 for $975, and a SPARCclassic
for $695.  If you can find one, SPARC ELCs go for about $350
and IPXs for about $450 these days.

> > _Personally_ I think Sun could give us the new architecture for the
>
> As a student (or developer) you can get ~40% discount on many models.

Including (I think) the Ultra-5, which is already pretty cheap by Sun's
standards.  ($2995 list gets you a running system sans monitor).

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com