Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:59:43 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel PIII "Anti Piracy Feature"?

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Haven't seen anyone mention anything about this...anyone know more?
>
> http://dragon.acadiau.ca/~034790g/newsletter.htm

I haven't read this particular article, but I do know that every PIII
has a unique ID number burned into the chip. This gives each PC a
unique identity. One proposed use for it is to avoid credit card fraud
when buying on the 'net (your CC number must match the PIII ID, which
I guess means you can only place orders from one PC :-/ ).

Apparently civil rights types and other "concerned" people are up in
arms over it, claiming it will allow Big Brother to watch what you do
and where you go on the Internet. In response to this Intel say they
will ship the chips with the feature turned off. Apparently it can be
turned off by software, but only turned on again by power-cycling the
chip.

I find this hilarious. These "experts" jumping up and down about it
like it is new technology. They obviously don't know that proprietry
Unix boxes have had this for years. On any Sun, type ``hostid'' at the
prompt and it'll return a 32-bit hex number.

The company I work for uses this (on Suns) to run the licencing for
our software. On PC's we need to use a dongle.