Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:02:47 GMT
From:      john@T-F-I.freeserve.co.uk (John Murphy)
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Confusion

Hi.
I'm a newcomer to FreeBSD/Unix. There may be millions like me along
shortly, and many may make the same mistake. Generally, given the
choice of a version marked 2.2.8 Stable or 3.0 Release we would expect
the latter to be the better choice. We should not be expected to
search the net to find the real differences. If Mr. Gates were to
release windows 2000-Release, people would buy it without a notion
that it might be ``primarily aimed at developers and early-adopters''.
We may not realise that FreeBSD is marketed/developed in an entirely
different way.

I've not actually seen the FBSD disks in the shops yet, but I'm sure
it won't be long before they are available that way. Nowhere (on my
disk set at least) does it mention the above quote. In fact it says
``If you want stable networking and a powerful development
environment, FreeBSD is the Operating system for you''.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for the FreeBSD core
members and developers. I'm amazed that the result of so much hard
work is just given away. Having received such a fine gift I am
definitely not complaining. The few problems I have with it will be
resolved shortly, I'm sure.

I suggest that future CDRom releases from the current branch be
labeled Un-Stable. I know this sounds weird at first, but it would
put any newcomer off buying something unsuitable for first time use.
Everyone in the know of course would buy it regardless.

--=20
Sorry if I'm totally out of order / off topic here.
John.