Date:      Sat, 03 Jul 1999 18:11:08 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        Janie Dykes <jkn33@pangeatech.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to start to be a hacker?

"Brian F. Feldman" wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Janie Dykes wrote:
>
> > When scouring through the threads - this one in particular caught my
> > attention.  In my experience, which is still very new, I think all of
> > you make excellent points.  For the most part, the novice/average
> > person, believes that hackers are malicious, destructive individuals.  A
> > huge number of computer users are misled and misinformed about the true
> > definition of the term 'hacker'.  This is unfortunate - if those people
> > could spend some time reading the brilliant posts to this list, they
> > might realize that we are not all 16 year olds, hiding behind the glow
>
> *cough* Care to explain that comment?

Trust me, greenie, those of us who a FAR from 16 wish we weren't.  ;^)

You're obviously not the wastrel Janie is talking about here.  THEY're
all over at SlashDot calling me names.  ;^)

> > The
> > first time I experienced that curiosity - I got a little carried away.
> > eh hem  I learned that my skills, which included aptness
> > and dexterity, had been misdirected.  Upon my awakening, I was blessed
> > with my mentor. He challenged me to use my skills productively.

One of the important aspects of being a hacker is discipline, both
self-discipline and team discipline when working with others.  Both
are learned behavior for the typical hacker type; something you have
to develop an admiration for before you are even willing to try it
yourself.

A certain amount of discretion is called for as well, which can ONLY
be learned by experience.  In the meantime, a good mentor can help
by giving advice (and/or an occasional butt-kicking) to avoid doing
something REALLY stupid.

These two traits are certainly not unique to hacking, that's why
mentoring is a concept as old as the children of Adam and Eve.  In
fact, I've found it to be MUCH more important in other occupations,
like motorcycling, sailing, and chemistry.  ;^)

> > In
> > retrospect, I learned [the hard way] and gained some experience with

Preferably without losing any body parts?

> > some help from my mentor [some of you may know Peter Mountain -
> > BRU2000].  All in all, there are many contributing factors to becoming a
> > hacker.  I rarely post to this list - so I hope that my lengthy post
> > doesn't offend.  So on that note - I will continue observing the minds
> > at work.

No problem, you're always welcome.  Do try to keep the quoting to a
minimum.  ;^)

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com