Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:10:54 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        cch@ccpc4.kmc.edu.tw
Cc:        FreeBSD-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/13405: syslogd get system hang

Chih-Chang Hsieh wrote:

> We have 5 hosts which send log messages to this FreeBSD machine's syslogd.
>
> And this FreeBSD machine sets log messages output to /dev/lpt0.
>
> When I turn off the printer's power for adding paper, after a while,
>
> the FreeBSD machine hang up -- I can not get any responses from console
>
> and I can not connect to it by ssh (it has run sshd).
>
> But it is not down yet -- It is still alive when I ping it.
>
> When I turn on the printer's power (it prints some messages out),
>
> it responses as normal.

	This really isn't a bug. Next time please try freebsd-questions before
using send-pr, although it's not the end of the world. :) It sounds to me
like the partition where your printer spool file lives is getting full
while your machine can't print. There are a few other possibilities, but I
think the place for you to start is to send this same information to
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org and ask for suggestions on fixing it.

Good luck,

Doug