Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 01:40:20 -0800
From:      Rusty <irisinc@gci.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Elementary documentation

Hi!

I'm teaching my eleven (11)  year old son how to use Freebsd.  I have a
400 MgH box and his is  330 MgH machine.  I recently built a 300 MgH box
to use as a gateway and a router.  I have a 40 mg SuSE 6.1 hack that
will do service as a firewall and router.

My question is; where may I find documentation that is simple enough for
an above average 11 year old to understand?  An example:  Tonight we
were compiling some games (what else?) that he had downloaded and he
inquired about the meaning of the arguments following the commands
"gunzip" and "tar".  He wanted to know what each stood for.  I'm not
about to reefer an eleven year old to a man page, I don't do that to
anyone I like.  We consulted one of the many three inch thick books on
Unix I have purchased from time to time and I was able to give him the
correct answer.  Giving a newbie a good, informative answer is important
if you want that person to be properly grounded in the discipline they
are studying.  Learning the basics well makes the rest of the study
easy.

If anyone has some recommendations as to where I may purchase
documentation that will fit my requirements I will be most appreciative.

Thank you,

Rusty