Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 15:33:55 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loader.rc: unknown command

Jeremy Lea wrote:

> <AOL>Me too!</AOL>

Then, please send me the same information: how did you upgrade? what did
you have before? what's the date of your present world?

> The loader.* files in /boot dont seem to be the latest ones from
> /usr/src/...???

/boot/loader.rc does not get updated by "make world" (though a binary
upgrade does update it). This was done to avoid overwritting people's
loader.rc when loader.conf was first introduced. It would have been a
real annoyance then, and the new loader.rc was such that we would not
_need_ to update it afterwards.

It was changed, I think, when I introduced the controversial password
thingy, which I later decided to back out after I introduced some
necessary changes to loader, which I haven't yet. So you are better off
with the previous version anyway. :-)

/boot/loader, /boot/loader.4th, /boot/support.4th and
/boot/defaults/loader.conf should be updated, as well as a few other
files which are not actually used during boot.

Anyway... nothing can actually explain the problem reported. :-( In
theory, it's impossible for such a problem to happen unless someone
introduced a bug in loader/FICL (or managed to disable FICL altogether).

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"If you consider our help impolite, you should see the manager."