Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 07:52:18 +0100
From:      "Thierry.herbelot" <herbelot@cybercable.fr>
To:        Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RELEASE boot.flp fails to boot on K6/2

Joe Abley wrote:

> Problem report booting 4.0-RELEASE follows.
>
>   /boot.config: -P
>   Keyboard: yes
>
>   BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.01
>   Console: internal video/keyboard
>   BIOS drive A: is disk0
>   BIOS drive C: is disk1
>   BIOS 639kB/56256kB available memory
>
>   FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.7
>   (jkh@monster.cdrom.com, Wed Mar 15 01:23:43 GMT 2000)
>   Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
>   Booting [kernel]...
>   /kernel text=0x1d56fe data=0x2f4ca0+0x1a718 zf_read: fill error

Hello,

I had the exact same error message trying to boot from a floppy where I
had tried to dd the full boot.flp (2,8 Megs is just too much for a
normal floppy), instead of kern.flp (and dd does not give error messages
..)

	TfH

>   elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
>   can't load 'kernel'
>   no bootable kernel
>   \
>
>   Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
>   ok
>
> What does this mean? If this is a -questions question, then please feel
> free to flame me privately (just thought it sounded -currentish). If
> there are any useful diags I can type, let me know.
>
> Hardware is 350MHz K6/2, generic-looking Asus motherboard with
> integrated video and audio, no-name PCI 10baseT ethernet adapter,
> floppy, single 20G IDE disk, 64M RAM. No other peripherals.
>
> Have tried different floppies. Recent OpenBSD snapshot floppy works
> just fine, by way of crude hardware sanity check.

Thierry Herbelot                        ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN   /"\
mailto:herbelot@cybercable.fr          AGAINST HTML MAIL & NEWS \ /
http://perso.cybercable.fr/herbelot           PAS DE HTML DANS   X
Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95...      LES COURRIELS   / \