Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:05:18 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        John B P Melesky <john@smallflower.com>
Cc:        Thomas Good <tomg@mailhost.nrnet.org>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some food for thought...just desserts!

John B P Melesky wrote:

> also, i think Tim's warning in the last paragraph ("information hole"
> vs. "not enough attention") should be heeded, even for a
> letter/petition. figure out the exact topic of the book, and make sure
> it's not redundant in some way to another book, then go for it.

IMHO, there is a big gaping hole. And I'm not sure he's being totally
forthright when he says he doesn't want redundancy. Scanning through the
list of available Unix books, I see "SCO Unix in a Nutshell", "Unix in a
Nutshell System V Edition", "Linux in a Nutshell" and "Running Linux".
Even Linux has been split into distributions. I find "Learning Debian
GNU/Linux" and "Learning Redhat Linux" (how redundant are these, I
ask?). In fact, the only generalized Unix books I see is "Learning the
Unix Operating System" and "Unix Power Tools".

The hole is there. There is a dearth of non-SysV, non-Linux and non-GNU
information. It would be nice to have a "Learning FreeBSD", but it
appears that we will have to wait until "Learning SuSE Linux" and
"Learning Corel Linux" are published first.

But a "Running FreeBSD" could fill the hole without being redundant. If
you look at "Running Linux", it is focuses heavily on Linux and not on
generic Unix. I would suggest focusing on installation, adminstration,
the differences between BSD and other Unices, and a selection of
applications. Topics could include the BSD partitioning scheme and file
system, sysinstall, BSD specific utilites, ports, porting, etc.

David