Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 07:07:24 -0600
From:      Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
To:        dragon@skullybat.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting the hang of this stuff.

Dragon,

    It's refreshing to see some advocacy!  I''m glad you like FreeBSD.  I
like it too.  Eons ago (1994-96), I was a Mac user myself.  My favorite Mac
was a Power Mac 6100 "pizza box" with a DOS card, running 4.5.1.  I've spent
the last 2 years experimenting with several Linux distros and have been
recently introduced to FreeBSD.  When I installed it on a laptop and started
using it, things just started to click.  Everything about the OS just seemed
to make more sense to me.  One of the things that impressed me the most
about FreeBSD is how easy it is to install software or upgrade the system.
The huge assortment of software available in the Ports Collection and the
numerous installation options are equally impressive.  I've also heard that
Mac OS X is based on the FreeBSD 3.4 kernel.  Using FreeBSD/Unix is a great
way to learn about computers, software and their internal makeup.  Using an
open OS like FreeBSD is great because you are allowed to customize the
kernel to your own personal specifications and even develop applications to
run on it.  You learn because, in a lot of cases, you are forced to know and
understand a computers internal workings and processes to get things to work
properly.  It's not like Windows, where everything is done in the background
for you and you learn nothing.
    Anyway, welcome to the list.  I'm sure you'll be impressed with the huge
amount of information that get's passed around here.  The people who
participate are quite knowledgeable and eager to provide any help or
information.

Cheers

Joe