Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2000 10:52:54 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        leegold <goldtech@worldpost.com>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tar and patch - help a newbie

leegold wrote:

> Below are some instructions I have to follow to hopefully get some sound
> working on my FReeBSD. I have learned how to build a kernel - think I can do
> that. But I have had some nasty experiences w/tar in the past.

Has anyone helped you with this yet over the weekend? If not, here's
some missing steps:

> 1. Download the driver source code (link).

I'm assuming that you have this on a floppy and have the floppy mounted
under /mnt. I'm also assuming that you have installed the kernel
sources. You will need to be root to do the following steps.

> 2. Extract it in the base of your kernel source tree:
>    cd /usr/src/sys
>    tar zxvf auvia.tar.gz

They're wanting you to extract what you've downloaded into the kernel
source tree.

First you need to copy the file over:
	cp /mnt/auvia.tar.gz /usr/src/sys
Then do the above steps exactly as shown.

> 3. Patch the following files:
>    cd conf
>    patch < files.diff

What you are doing here is patching some source files. A patch contains
differences between some original files and some new files. By patching
you change some original files into new files. For example, instead of
these guys distributing the a foo.c file in it's entirety, they're
essentially just distributing the single line of source code that
actually changed.

Since you are patching in the conf directory, I'm wondering what is
being patched. This directory contains your kernel configurations. I'm
guessing that the only thing worthwhile patching in here is LINT and
GENERIC. But this doesn't make sense given step #5. If you're truly
curious, examine files.diff to see what file is being patched and what
they're changing.

I'd follow the above steps exactly as shown.

> 5. In your kernel configuration file, place the line:
>	device pcm0

Use your Favorite Editor(tm) and place that single line somewhere in
your kernel configuration file. Read the manual first on building
kernels. Somewhere along the way you should have copied the GENERIC file
over to MYKERNEL (or some other name of your choosing). All this added
line does is compile in new-style sound support.

> 6. Compile the new kernel.

Read The FreeBSD Manual (RTFM) on how to build a kernel. It really isn't
that difficult if you read the FM. And don't forget the step on creating
new devices. For sound you need to make snd0.

David