Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 10:03:08 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

Doug Young wrote:

> Now thats another issue again ..... does <PRE> stuff look OK in Lynx ??
> I dunno if Lynx is that relevant to manuals with heaps of pics though ....
> unless the existing stuff can be readily converted to some sort of text.
> I won't be writing ANY docs that don't have heaps of screen shots,  so
> if that  results in something unusable to Lynx users then so be it .
> Probably any Lynx user would be beyond using the extremely simplistic
> newbie level stuff I do anyway.

I think at least part of the point of using <PRE> was to replace some
screenshots. For a text-only screenshot, <PRE> gives you a nearly
identical reproduction for only 1/100 the size (fiddle with CSS and
fonts and you can have a 100% pixel-for-pixel reproduction). And it's
easier to read. And easier to print out. You DO want it to be printed
out since during the installation the webpage will be unavailable.

Perhaps have two versions, one with screenshots and one with <PRE>.

David