Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:39:33 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@inpharmatica.co.uk>
To:        Andrew BOGECHO <andrewb@cs.mcgill.ca>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfs errors

Hi,

	We also have a mixture of FreeBSD and Solaris servers, and I had a very bad
patch of this error occuring between our mailserver (FBSD) and our NFS machine
(Solaris).  It turns out that we had a marginal ethernet cable, and replacing
it has reduced the occurrence of such errors to once every few days (which is
managable).  The annoying thing was that the FreeBSD machine seemed to suffer
a lot more from the fault than other machines around our network.

	I also found that NFSv2 rather than v3 seemed to work a bit better given the
dodgy connection.

Andrew BOGECHO wrote:
> We have recently been moving more and more to FreeBSD. The enjoyment
> of such a stable platform allows us to see that we are making the
> right decision.
>
> We do have one error message that shows up all the time. It does not
> affect us or our users, but it does make me curious. I have searched
> everywhere, and have only found one reference to this error, but no
> repies.
>
> The error message is as follows:
>
> /kernel: nfs send error 32 for server blah:/partitiona
>
> The above error message occurs sometimes several times a minute, a
> few times an hour, there is no preset frequency, but it is often.
> It also affects all nfs mounted paritions.

	Matthew

--
           Certe, Toto, sentio nos in Kansate non iam adesse.

   Dr. Matthew Seaman, Inpharmatica Ltd, 60 Charlotte St, London, W1T 2NU
            Tel: +44 20 7631 4644 x229  Fax: +44 20 7631 4844