Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:18:05 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /boot partition?

"Michael C . Wu" wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 07:22:20AM -0500, Mike Meyer scribbled:
> | Just curious - now that the kernel has moved into /boot/kernel/kernel,
> | does anyone know how well would it work to put /boot in it's own
> | partition (possibly in it's own slice)?
>
> I do not think loader can see stuff in other partitions.

Nope, the loader can load stuff from other partitions, even from some strange
ones like msdos ;), so theoretically it should be possible to have /boot, or
even /boot/kernel, on another partition (it may require to tweak loader config
files, though), but I really do not see any reasons behind such weird setup.

> The loader also resides in /boot.
> Besides, if you can't mount / (including /etc), there really is no
> point to keep /boot somewhere else.

-Maxim