Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:33:30 +0200
From:      ostap <ostap@ukrpost.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DoS attack - advice needed

Thank you for your help,
unfortunately i can't analyze it that deep,
'cos it was a one-time attack. i came there late in the
evening, saw the problem, rebooted and everything was fine.
so, no trafic snapshots unfortunately.
looks like the guy issued one command, and the box went mad.
i guess this wasn't that sophisticated,
logs show traces of a usual portscanning software,
it was ran twice or so, and then whole the thing started.
it seems like the guy wasn't very experienced and was just
playing around with some soft, exploiting some general hack,
and then went home.
i know that 3.3release is quite old, and should be ugraded of course,
but i never thought it could be broken in such an easy way, without
efforts,
just using some standard tool.
any ideas?