Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:26:31 -0700
From:      Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The ultimate board!

Hi Chris,

Chris Dillon wrote:

> Where do I send the check?  If you take credit cards, I can do that
> too.  :-)

Prices and ordering information comming soon....

> I'd take one or two just like you've mentioned (133MHz, 32MB,
> 3*Ethernet, metal case).  I assume that this does not come with a
> CompactFlash card.  A trip down to the local electronics store is all
> that is required to get a CF card these days.  IIRC, there are two
> types of CF cards... ones that are actually CF, and ones that have an
> ATA-Compatible interface.  Which kind do we actually need, or will
> either type work?

That right, they will come without the CompactFlash card.

As Warner said, there is only one kind of CF cards, but they can
operate in 3 modes, all required per the spec: PC Card memory
mode, PC Card I/O mode and True IDE mode. I'm running them in true
IDE mode. The CompactFlash spec is at http://www.compactflash.org/

> Does the board you will be making have both the MiniPCI and the
> regular PCI slot on them like the board on the website?  I'm not sure
> what MiniPCI is supposed to look like, but the card edge connector
> hanging off the left side of the board in the picture on your website
> looks like it would be the regular 3.3V PCI slot, right?  Is the area
> just below the CompactFlash slot (which looks somewhat like a pad for
> a PCMCIA slot) actually where the MiniPCI slot would go?  If so, is
> MiniPCI similar to or even compatible with CardBus?  Or is that for an
> actual PCMCIA/CardBus slot? :-)

The board will have both the Std 3.3V PCI and the MiniPCI type III
slot. The Area just below the CF socket is the MiniPCI type III
socket, which is a 124 pins DIMM connector. (almost the same as
laptop memory DIMM's)

> Also, how hard would it be to put 64MB on it?  You might need to put
> 32MB on all of the units to keep manufacturing costs down, but if it
> isn't a big deal to put 64MB on some of them for people who need/want
> that much memory, I'll spring for that.

I'm planning to offer both 32 Mbyte and 64 Mbyte version, as there
seem to be interest for that. The 64 Mbyte will probably cost
around $25 more, as 256 Mbit chips is still relative more
expensive.

Regards,

Soren Kristensen

Soekris Engineering