Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:27:15 -0400
From:      hulk <hulk-baillie@home.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
Cc:        questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: problem??? in /etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate ???

Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 08:45:22PM -0400, hulk wrote:
> > The script does not execute at all since "nobody" is not in "wheel"and
> > /var/db/locate.database is not updated.
>
> The periodic scripts run as root. root can su to anyone. The wheel
> group requirement is only needed for users attempting to su TO root.
>
> >At least this is how I
> > interpret
> > "permision denied".
>
> What's the output of `ls -l /var/db/locate.database'?
> --
> Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
>                 "If everything's under control, you're going too slow"
>                                                       - Mario Andretti
ls -l /var/db/locate.database returns
  -r--r--r--  1 nobody wheel 1014682 Apr23  20:34
/var/db/locate.database

I am logged in as root and direct execution of the periodic script
says "permision denied".
If "nobody" is added to the "wheel" group the script is directly
executable.
I therefor doubt that the script and/or su run{s} as you say. The
locate.database mod time
will be change by the "touch" cmd but file will not be updated.

Am I on the wrong track?

Al