Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 13:43:02 -0400
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DEVFS

John Baldwin wrote:

> On 10-May-01 Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > 2)  Is it valid that multiple DEVFS mounts over /dev are allowed?
>
> Why wouldn't it be?  (Granted, it is a bit _weird_).  You can do the same with
> other fs's:

...and happily shoot yourself in the foot this way. :)

<personal_experience effect=fade out>
I had pretty weird experiences into mounting multiple root directories
(!). I have a crappy 486 which has an equally crappy IDE controller
which can't grok my 3.2G HD. The loader couldn't boot the kernel from
the drive.

I had to keep another very crappy 250M HD with a duplicate of the /
filesystem and a very special kernel that mounted its root from the
other drive, since the kernel could recognize the drive correctly.

Without DMA, of course. :) But it works.

My point here is that I had a lot of fun in totally scrapping my system
by doing a spurious mount /. No reboot(1) or halt(1) available... ;)
C-A-Del!
</personal_experience effect=fade in>

Anyways...

Another OT question.. Is any MFC planned for devfs? I'm getting jealous
of -current (running -stable). ;)

Thanks,

A.
--
La sémantique est la gravité de l'abstraction.