Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 00:03:40 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: contrib code and gnu build glue (was [CFR] /sys/miscfs/* ->  /sys/fs/)

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <3B0DB020.885F5ED0@DougBarton.net> Doug Barton writes:
> :       I wish the whole thing were cleaner. There is too much "a little bit of
> : this," and "a little bit of that" in the status quo. What'd really be nice
> : for the current arrangement is if src/gnu had all of the 3rd party GPV'ed
> : code, and src/contrib had all of the other 3rd party code except the bits
> : related to encryption, which should still go in src/secure to help the
> : people living under oppressive regimes. Then ALL of the build glue should
> : go in its respective home under src/whatever.
>
> You see a transition state.  All the GPL'd code is moved out of
> src/gnu into src/contrib.  src/gnu is the tree for building code only,
> not for storing it.  src/usr.bin (et al) are used when the code isn't
> gpl'd.  We do this so that the build can easily eliminate building of
> gpl by removing gnu from the top level makefile.

	I understand the current situation, I just don't like it. :) IMO it would
be better to leave the sources in src/gnu and have the make glue depend on
whether the sources are present to build or not. That way all I have to do
is remove the directory with the specific sources I want to delete and get
rid of the source and the build decision in one step.

	But as I said previously, any effort spent on this would be better spent
on making the whole system more modular.

--
    I need someone really bad. Are you really bad?