Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 19:08:38 -0500
From:      Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
To:        Bsdguru@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freeside

Bsdguru@aol.com wrote:

> Is anyone using this package with FreeBSD? Opinions? Can you bill based on
> bandwidth usage with it?
>
> Bryan
Bryan,
Freeside is decent software, and will work fine under FreeBSD. It's all
in what you want to do. I have set it up for a few small ISP's that I
remote admin. If you want a really serious billing package, the best
bang for your buck is Platypus ( http://www.boardtown.com ) They also
have a new customer care package thats really good.

If you're looking for software to bill for bandwidth usage, IPMeter is
the hands down winner. ( http://www.IP23.com ) I will warn you that it
can be tricky to set up.

I know that you've gotten a bad time about your e-mail address from this
list. Don't take it seriously. While I'll admit to getting a chuckle
from it, but I mean nothing by that. It's a free country after all. I
would point out to you that you asked a question about billing software,
and one of your detractors suggested proxy software as a solution. How
serious can he be?

If you will give me a better idea of what you need to bill, and how
many, I can give you better pointers on the software.
--
Bob Martin, CTO
InterNet Unlimited