Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 09:23:27 -0400
From:      Peter Choe <choepete@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   oracle8.1.7 on freebsd 4.3-stable

okay, i have looked through the mailing list, newsgroups, and the
freebsd handbook on installing oracle.  it seems to me that everyone is
doing it but me.  (much like my high school years and getting a date).

anyway, i have oracle8.1.7 linux tar file and have untarred it and tried
to run the runInstaller straight.  but ofcourse i got some errors.

first it said that modify_ldt wasn't working and that i needed: option
USER_LDT in my kernel.  so, i added that.

than i tried to run runInstaller again, and it just went in a loop about
some kernel 9 error being trapped and i needed to ctl-alt-del to reboot.

so, than i modified the oraparam.ini file to change the jre on it.  i
have linux-jdk1.2.2 installed on my machine.  i remember that when i ran
the installer, it said something about needing jdk1.1.8 or higher.  so,
i set the JRE_LOCATION=/usr/local/linux-jdk1.2.2

but i get a message saying that i don't have the
/usr/local/linux-jdk1.2.2/bin/jre directory or file.  so, i made a link
in the bin directory to the jre director of the linux-jdk1.2.2
directory.  but i don't have any actual jre command.

anyway, the next time i ran it, i get the following error.

Error in CreateOUIProcess(): 13
:Permission denied

so, which jre environment do i need?  and i do i actually install it?

peter choe