Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 09:59:50 -0600
From:      Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
To:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: oracle8.1.7 on freebsd 4.3-stable

Peter Choe wrote:

> okay, i have looked through the mailing list, newsgroups, and the
> freebsd handbook on installing oracle.  it seems to me that
> everyone is doing it but me.  (much like my high school years
> and getting a date).

Sounds like my high school years as well. Oh well, at least now
I have the satisfaction of knowing that being a proffesional
computer geek is very sexy :-). To quote Scott Adams:

} I think it's a Darwinian thing. We're attracted to the people
} who have the best ability to survive and thrive. In the old
} days it was important to be able to run down an antelope and
} kill it with a single blow to the forehead.
}
} But that skill is becoming less important every year.
}
} Now all that matters is if you can install your own Ethernet
} card without having to call tech support and confess your
} inadequacies to a stranger whose best career option is to
} work in tech support.

Complete article at:
http://www.techweb.com/winmag/library/1995/0595/05opine.htm#a8

Back in Dec. I posted my experience installing 8.1.6. Most of it
was how to trick the stupid installer to use a jre other then
the one that came bundled with it. I haven't looked at 8.1.7
so I don't know how much of my experience would help, but
you can find it at:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=7927+13188+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-database/20001210.freebsd-database

Good luck.

-stacy

--
Nothing spoils fun like finding out it builds character.
    - Calvin

Stacy Millions                                       stacy@millions.ca
Millions Consulting Limited