Date:      Sun, 08 Jul 2001 19:44:46 -0700
From:      Pedro F Giffuni <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: OS portability (was: Things you learn in school)

Greg Lehey wrote:

> OK, let's take a look.  RS/6000?  Linux does, NetBSD doesn't really.
> Ultra SPARC with PCI bus?  Linux does.  Last time I looked, NetBSD
> didn't.  S/390?  Linux does, NetBSD doesn't.  SMP machines?  Linux
> does, NetBSD doesn't.
>
> Especially from an IBM point of view, this points very much to Linux
> as being the more portable system.  I don't think anybody cares very
> much whether Linux runs on a Sun 3.

Admitedly, NetBSD and Linux offer interesting features for platforms
that are already dying, but I don't think it's a real option for new
equipment.

The problem is: how many people actually buy a new Ultra SPARC or an IBM
PPC to run Linux on it? I mean serious users trying to use it for
business purposes.

FWIW I have a DEC 3000/300 in my office; although I could run NetBSD on
it some day (and someone said it's faster), the first choice is Tru64
(which is still there).

    Pedro.