Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 12:01:20 -0500
From:      Bob Van Valzah <Bob@Talarian.Com>
To:        FreeBSD-mobile@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   ThinkPad 600X Serial Ports Hang

I'm running 4.3-RELEASE on a ThinkPad 600X. I long ago gave up on
getting the built-in serial port to work since it's apparently powered
off and I have no way to boot DOS or Windows on it (I understand that'd
be required to apply power to the built-in serial port).

But I thought I stood a chance of getting a PC Card modem (with on-board
serial port) to work. I tried a Dell-branded 3Com 3C562D/3C563D card.
The serial port is recognized by pccardd upon insertion. But the machine
hangs as soon as I do a "tip cuaa1c".

I believe that both the IRDA and built-in serial port are in some funny
state since they show up as sio0 and sio1, but both complain "configured
irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs"

I have tried many different kernel configs and different IRQ settings in
/etc/pccard.conf to no avail. I've had the PC Card show up on sio0,
sio1, sio3, and sio4 at different times, but the symptoms are the same:
as soon as I touch a serial port with tip, the machine hangs.

I beginning to think that all serial I/O on this ThinkPad is jinxed. All
suggestions and insight would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Bob