Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 14:39:01 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unknown PNP hardware

Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
> Um, we see these messages not only because our ISA PnP driver needs
> some update, but also because we create ISA device instances TWICE for
> each motherboard ISA devices, such as sio and atkbdc, due to
> /boot/device.hints.
>
> We need to have /boot/device.hints for those systems without PnP BIOS.
> On the system with the PnP BIOS, we shall have one ISA device instance
> (say, sio0) created by the isahint driver based on hints described in
> /boot/device.hints, and the pnpbios driver will create another
> instance (sio%d) for the very same device, based on information from
> the PnP BIOS.  Then, we will see "unknown: <PNPXXX> can't assing
> resources" when the second device instance is probed. This happens
> even if the device driver understands PnP IDs.

So, you are saying that this is because there is not a seperate
"No BIOS" and "BIOS" section (or entry prefix) in the hints file,
so that in a non-PnP system, both the "No BIOS" and "BIOS"
entries will be examined, whereas on a PnP system, only the "BIOS"
entries will be examined?

It seems an obvious enhancement to me that there be seperate
sections, where the "BIOS" section is shipped empty, and is only
consulted to override broken PnP BIOS contents on PnP BIOS
systems...

PS: The "BIOS" section could be shipped non-empty, if it had
a "per-rogue" setion or prefix... then known broken PnP BIOS
systems would "just work".

-- Terry