Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:54:47 +1300
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   e'net card problems + e'net card autoconfig

Hi - Two questions I'd appreciate some help with.

1. Today I got two error messages on the system terminal ...

ste0: transmission error 88
ste0: transmission error 82

... (ste0 is an nic on the LAN side of my firewall)and at the same time ste0
seemed to stop working. I presumed it was a hardware failure but I rebooted and
everything is now fine. Can anyone tell me of any diagnostics I could run on
this card to try to figure out what its problem was/might be (also where I can
read what,eg, '88' signifies)?

2. When I built this system I seem to recall that during the installation the
e'net cards were detected and auto-configured (I might be wrong here but that's
how I recollect it). So my question is if I need to replace a dead card will
the system repeat the autoconfig on reboot or was that something that only the
install did ?

Hope you can make some sense of these slightly naive questions.

all the best

richard shea.

Open Door Ltd
PO Box 119-46